Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

I Do Not Want The Hollywood Smile



It is unarguably the era of technology where creative marketing has chalked itself a good space. The Internet is flooded with fancy commercials.  My recent encounter was with one such fascinating advertisement that caught my attention. The one which read "Let that winning smile chine. Presenting Hollywood smiles".

Well, I don’t just have blue tooth but have yellow, yellowish,
cream, creamish, whitish, and blackish. My teeth, yes. They are multi-coloured, and have their own
ups and downs, but no racism. They stay
united by my gums. We say a smile is contagious, smiles spread smiles, but I don't trust this for mine! Trust issues!



 Bad teeth actually runs in
my family or, I must say teeth run away from my family. So much so that, during the pandemic, my
teeth too had participated in the “social distancing” protocol. Now, it's not only about bad teeth but I am
blessed with trust issues in seeing any doctor. I was accustomed to my ritualistic visits, only to Manipal my
native place where I would spend more time with my dentist friend than my
family.  And, soon pandemic came
striking, on everyone’s joys, and my jaws. I could not travel to my native.



Now, with no annual servicing of the teeth, each time I had to smile, I suffered from a severe shortage of esteem. A deficient smile! Would be a potential threat to any work to
be done. While an efficient smile could very well be contagious. I needed a fast
solution as very soon masks would no more be mandatory.



That's when my optical brilliance caught sight of a hoarding that read:



  LET THAT WINNING SMILE SHINE.



PRESENTING
HOLLYWOOD SMILE



Hospital  XYZ.



I had to fall for this since my teeth were
falling apart. My mouth represented the map of potholes-filled roads of my
hometown. (Mind you, Parkala is popular for bad roads).



One auspicious
morning, I visited hospital XYZ. Here, Dr. ABC greeted me, and after a quick exchange of greetings,  I laid
back on the chair, with lights on. I closed my eyes. And prayed. Dr. ABC came close, made a study of the ups and downs in the life and death of my
teeth, and mindfully was striking a conversation with me. He asked me for some dent history. I explained about the wonderful bridges
built by my dentist friend at Manipal.



 Behold. Both my doctors happened to be classmates at the Dental College. My trust issues had slowly calmed down. 



Dr ABC  and I bonded over my cavities and bridges, also
monsoons and food in Manipal. He spoke a broken kannada language he had learnt in Manipal.  And I too spoke broken Malayalam that I had learnt in Doha. Together, we discussed the
cosmetic holly wood smile treatment process.



My jaws knew no
bounds then and we then met regularly. At the clinic. 

A complete aesthetic
makeover, construction, and interior design of my “Hollywood smile” was under construction. Some
bridges were planned. Which needed some evacuations. This was nothing less than the vigorous construction Ashghal carried out for the forthcoming FIFA.  I was promised 4 crowns by Dr. ABC. And I made myself feel like a queen. Root canal
treatments and dental implants too jumped into the plans. Ashghal had got another stadium ready, but my Hollywood smile was happily underway.



Well, in a span of 5 months, my treatment concluded.  But my
teeth refused to surrender to Hollywood. The mirror showed no difference at all. I too did not desperately look for it. My daughter who is a teenager fabricated instant solutions and trained me on how to pout. The secret is, the training failed miserably as I could never cope with more technology or any updates. For the generation that I belong to, the "update" is a slower process. There is no auto-update system too that takes place at midnight.

Finally, I learnt my lesson. Beautiful or not, I still smile. And yes, I do not fall for any commercial baits hung on hoardings.



Well, let things be, is my policy. #WeAreLikeThisOnly

#Humour  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Do Not Want The Hollywood Smile

It is unarguably the era of technology where creative marketing has chalked itself a good space. The Internet is flooded with fancy commerci...